My take on things

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A time of strength when you least expect it

Having another being here in my body amazes me a lot. I am 31 weeks pregnant as of yet and sometimes, the thought of having a baby inside my womb and actually feeling its twirls and kicks still surprise me. I don't think I'll ever get used to this. Why? Simply put, I am astounded by the marvel that is life.

In our office, particularly in our department, there are now a total of 5 pregnant women, me included in the list. Why put emphasis? It just goes to show how women are strong. We continue to work and try to do our daily tasks along with child-bearing and added weight - exposing ourselves to the idea that we too are still equipped and capable of what we used to do despite the erratic hormones, hot flashes, mood swings, morning sickness, and vulnerability.

In these times I mostly realize that women are strong beings who are made even stronger because of our condition. I for one couldn't imagine me being pregnant then. I got a sister and my other friends who have been pregnant a couple of times, but all I can say now is, "iba tlga kapag ikaw na ang nakaranas."  Not to compete with the guys, but hey, haven't you noticed how pregnant women can still hold their composure and think straight amidst pressure?

Although some do decide not to continue, those who push through with the 9 months of pregnancy becomes stronger in a way that they are not only physically able to carry on; they become emotionally and mentally harnessed. (Imagine how many websites, books, and experienced moms and moms-to-be I've consulted, all because i diidn't have much idea of what to do. I needed facts mostly, and I got it plus more stories of elation to labor pains -- shocks! Info overload!)

An officemate told me that at the moment of delivering the baby, the mom's life is put into grave danger (in her words, "ang isang paa, nasa hukay") but once the mom takes sight of the new borrn child, the feeling is irreplaceable and everything becomes all worth it. The mom will then have this emotional shift - from the one who's in peril to becoming the protector of her young. I'm glad she told me this. I am blessed cause it gave me confidence, erasing a big protion of my fears.

It is at this stage that women become more aware of their weaknesses and understand that the capabilities have lessen. Yet, this is also the stage when we bloom into more mature individuals, being unselfish with our bodies, providing a home for our unborn, and finally giving birth to a wonderful gift. We are beautiful in every sense of the word.

Hail to our mothers and moms to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment